As a building owner, it’s important to make sure that your property is up to code and safe for all occupants. This is especially true when you have a new tenant moving in. One way to ensure that your building is in compliance with fire safety regulations is to undergo a fire marshal inspection.
But what does a fire marshal inspection entail, and how can you prepare for it? Here are some tips to help you pass the inspection and keep your building safe:
- Partner with a fire and life safety company like Elyon Fire and Life Safety. These professionals can help you assess the current state of your building’s fire safety systems and make any necessary repairs or installations.
- Make sure all fire protection systems are in good working order. This includes sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, and fire extinguishers. Test and inspect these systems regularly to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Keep all exits clear and unobstructed. Make sure that all doors and corridors are free from clutter and that exit signs are visible and illuminated. Have your emergency & exit lights tested per NFPA 101 life safety code. Outsourcing equipment testing, inspection and repair to an experienced provider can help simplify the process and help you satisfy applicable local standards.
- Follow all local fire codes and regulations. These codes may vary depending on your location, so it’s important to be aware of any specific requirements in your area. Contact your local AHJ to get clarity on any specific requirements they may have.
- Have an evacuation plan in place. Make sure that all occupants of the building know what to do in the event of a fire and have practiced the evacuation procedure.
- Keep up with necessary maintenance. Regularly check and maintain all fire protection systems, as well as any other systems or equipment that could potentially start a fire (such as electrical wiring) Test all other related life safety items such as, proper ventilation, smoke exhaust fans, elevator recall, stair pressurization fans, emergency phones, etc.
While passing a fire marshal inspection is important, it’s equally important to protect the lives of your tenants and the public, as well as protect yourself from liability. By following these tips and partnering with a fire and life safety company like Elyon Fire and Life Safety, you can ensure that your building is safe for all occupants and compliant with fire safety regulations.